Gold bracelet, with enamelled interlaced ornament and diamonds in the middle of pavé-set turquoises surrounded by half-pearls, made by T. & J. Bragg of Birmingham, England, about 1862
Gold bracelet, with enamelled interlaced ornament, with rose- and brilliant-cut diamonds in the middle of pavé-set turquoises surrounded by half-pearls.
This bracelet was probably shown by the Bragg firm at the International Exhibition of 1862, where it was purchased by the Museum. By the 1850s bracelets had become an indispensable accessory. The French connoisseur Edmond Joly de Bammeville declared that the ‘daytime’ bracelet was the ‘main feature of national dress’ in England. Up to seven or eight of differing design might be worn between the wrist and elbow on both arms. Alternatively, they could be worn in pairs and even over gloves. Distinctions of rank, age, occasion and dress determined what jewellery could be worn and when. One etiquette manual stated that diamonds, pearls and emeralds were for full evening wear only. In the daytime, women were expected to wear less elaborate jewellery.
This bracelet and another, 7993-1863 were probably shown by the Bragg firm at the International Exhibition of 1862, where they were purchased by the Museum.
Location: Jewellery, room 91, case 22, shelf D, box 6