ca. 1895 (made)
Knowles, J. W.
Height: 28.5 in, Width: 28.25 in
1 of 137 copies of stained glass representing the life and miracles of St William of York, from the St William Window in York Minster, watercolour, J. W. Knowles, Great Britain, ca. 1895
Drawing of a stained glass panel depicting the deaths of Pope Eugenius and Archbishop Murdac revealed to William of York by a sign.
The stained glass from which this copy was made is in the fourth window from the west, known as the St William Window, in the north aisle of the choir of York Minster. The window was presented by the family of Ros of Hamlake (Helmsley) Castle, and was completed in the early 15th century. In 1895 J. W. Knowles, a Stonegate-based glass painter, took photographs and made watercolour drawings of all the panels in the St William Window. The drawings showed which parts of the glass were original, and were later used by conservators as a reference for restoration work.
Location: Prints & Drawings Study Room, level C, case MB2B, shelf DR107, box SS5