Statuette, terracotta, 'Turkey Cock', artist unknown, England , ca. 1850
This terracotta sculpture of a turkey cock is made by an unknown sculptor in England in ca. 1850. It was formerly in the collection of the statesman Lord Henry Charles George Gordon Lennox (1821-1886), who gave the piece on loan to the Museum.
On loan from the statesman Lord Henry George Gordon Lennox (1821-1886), London, from 21 February 1866. Lord Lennox died intestate; his widow died in 1903 and no claimant could be found for this object and five other ceramic items formerly on loan. Attempts to locate the legal representatives of Lord Henry Lennox, made in June 1918, were unsuccessful. The ceramic objects formerly on loan were eventually accessioned by the Department of Ceramics and Glass in 1936. As a redundant loan the present piece was formerly accessioned by the Sculpture Department in 2000.
Location: In Storage