Section of a moulded cornice
ca. 1855 - ca. 1870 (made)
Stevens, Alfred George
Length: 21.7 cm
Sketch-model, plaster, for a section of a moulded cornice, by Alfred Stevens, English, ca. 1855-70
A series of mouldings, one decorated with acanthus leaves, then above comes a broad ogre moulding with floral decoration in low relief. This is surmounted by a cable and acanthus mouldings.
This section of a moulded cornice is so far unidentified and made by Alfred Stevens in ca. 1855-1870. A sculptor, designer and painter, Alfred Stevens (1817/18-1875) rejected contemporary distinctions between fine art and design. From 1850 to 1857 he was chief designer to Hoole & Co., Sheffield, where he produced award-winning designs for metalwork, majolica, terracotta ornaments and chimney-pieces. Perhaps his two greatest works were the decorations for the dining-room at Dorchester House, London (about 1856), for which he made countless drawings inspired by the Italian High Renaissance style, in particular the work of Michelangelo and the monument to the Duke of Wellington for St Paul's Cathedral, London, which was completed after his death. The two allegorical groups from this monument made a lasting impact on the New Sculpture movement. The influence of the Italian Renaissance is evident in much of Steven's work, and is perhaps best reflected in the Wellington monument.
Purchased from Mrs Ada Gamble, 12 Stanlake Villas, Shepherd's Bush, London, together with a range of other objects by Stevens, for £175. Mrs Gamble was the widow of James Gamble, a pupil of Stevens, who had a large collection of designs and drawings by his former master.
Location: In Storage