ca. 1860 (made)
Bookcase with upper and lower section; upper section with cornice above open shelves divided by pilasters with moulded bases; lower section has central recess with drawer and cupboard with two doors on either side; cornice painted with foliate pattern, cupboard doors have moulded panels with central curved spandrel and drawers fitted with brass loop handles.
This bookcase, from Failand House, near Bristol, the home of the Fry family, was given to the Museum by Roger Fry, the art historian, critic and painter, and his sisters. Their grandfather, Lewis Fry, was an early client of Alfred Waterhouse, employing him in 1865-8 to make alterations to Goldney House, near Bristol. Waterhouse and Lewis Fry's son, Sir Edward Fry (1827-1918), married sisters, Mariabella and Elizabeth Hodgkin. The bookcase may have been designed either for Lewis Fry, or for Sir Edward Fry, who employed Waterhouse for some minor work in his house in London in 1865 and moved to Failand House on his retirement from the bench in 1892.
Location: In Storage