Dish of tin-glazed earthenware painted in colours, made in Siena, ca. 1510
Dish of tin-glazed earthenware painted in colours. Circular with a wide flat rim. Painted in the middle with Saint Jerome kneeling before a cave and within a border of foliage and beading. The sides of the well have bianco sopra biancoornament of linear foliations. On the rim are arabesques, vases and grotesque figures in reserve on an orange ground. The reverse is decorated with two concentric rings of petal-pattern.
Bequeathed by Sir Otto Beit, Bt, KCMG
Location: Ceramics Study Galleries, Asia & Europe, room 137, case 37, shelf 6