late 16th century (made)
Height: 14 in, Width: 15.5 in
Lunette of leaded glass, painted and stained with the arms of Strickland, D'Eyncourt and Beetham, English, late sixteenth century.
Lunette of leaded painted and stained glass. In the middle is a circular medallion of arms: quarterly, 1 and 4, sable, three escallops argent, for Strickland; 2 and 3, argent, a fess dancetty between nine billets, four and five, sable, for D'Eyncourt; impaling, quarterly, 1 and 4, argent, a chief dancetty azure, 2nd and 3rd, or, three fleur-de-lys sable, for Beetham.
Made for Sizergh Castle, near Kendal, Cumbria (formerly in Westmorland). A Joseph Nash lithograph (1849) shows the roundels set in the upper lights of the sixteenth-century mullion-and-transom window above early eighteenth-century leaded crown glass lozenges. When the roundels were removed by Walter Strickland for sale in 1896, the window was glazed with sheets of plain glass and late four mid-twentieth century stained glass shields were inserted.
Location: On loan