Bottle and stopper

1930-1940 (made)

Soudbinine, Séraphin

Height: 9.8 cm, Diameter: 8.5 cm

C.129:1, 2-2014 CER

Bottle and stopper, stoneware with light greenish glaze, made by Séraphin Soudbinine, Paris, France, 1930-1940

Stoneware bottle with six feet and a bird-shaped stopper, covered with light greenish glaze. Maker's mark incised on base.

This object is part of a collection of early 20th century French studio ceramics bequeathed to the Museum by Mme. Renée Collinson (1915-2001). The collection was assembled by her father, Charles Sydney Collinson between 1930 and 1940. He was an official in the Visa section of the British Embassy in Brussels from about 1910, and a friend of two of the artists who produced the ceramics, Paul Beyer (1873-1945) and Séraphin Soudbinine (1870-1944). He was English with a French wife and they retired to France although Mme. Collinson was brought up in France and Belgium.

Bequeathed by Mme. Renée Collinson

Location: In Storage

View this object on the V&A website