Plywood display sign for the temporary theatre used by the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre Company at Stratford-upon-Avon, 1926-1931
Semi-circular plywood display sign in a modern wooden frame, the sign with the words 'SHAKESPEARE MEMORIAL' around the curved edge, and 'TEMPORARY / THEATRE.' in the centre, all lettering in gold.
Plywood display sign for the temporary theatre used by the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre Company at Stratford-upon-Avon, 1926-1931. The Shakespeare Memorial Theatre at Stratford-upon-Avon, which had opened in 1879, caught fire on 6 March 1926 and was reduced to a burnt-out shell. The theatre's director, W. Bridges-Adams, was determined to proceed with the 1926 Shakespeare Festival's productions and, only two days after the fire, alterations were being made to a local cinema to enable it to accommodate the theatre company. The cinema was used for Shakespeare for six years while a new Shakespeare Memorial Theatre was under construction, the final Shakespeare performance being given there on 12 September 1931. This sign is one of several used at the cinema between 1926 and 1931.
This sign was acquired by the donor from the Royal Shakespeare Company in the late 1960s. It was one of three similar signs.
Given by Terence Fitton
Location: In Storage