Lichfield Cathdral screen
Height: 26 cm, Width: 23.5 cm
Photograph of the Lichfield screen made in 1861 in the photographic studio of Francis Skidmore's firm at Alma Street, Coventry.
Photograph of Lichfield screen showing a row of angels below the canopy and a central arch in which there is a roundel.
Photograph of Lichfield Cathedral choir screen which separates the choir from the nave and aisles. This albumen print, a type of photograph, was made in 1861 from a glass negative in the photographic studio in the factory building of Skidmore & Co., at Alma Street, Coventry. This photograph is thus a record of the work done and comes from an archive of designs and photographs from the firm. Francis Skidmore (1817-1896) was a leading Victorian metalworker in the Gothic Revival style, which was an architectural movement the nineteenth-century practitioners of which sought to revive medieval forms. Skidmore also produced church plate, light fittings, and furniture but was best known for his innovative architectural ironwork of which this screen is an example.
Purchased with the assistance of the Friends of the National Libraries
Location: Prints & Drawings Study Room, level C, case MB2E, shelf SH61, box M82