ca. 1925-1935 (made)
Height: 29 mm top of bezel to bottom of hoop, Length: 33 mm bezel, Width: 19 mm bezel
Gold and silver ring set with citrines and pearls, made by Bernard Instone, Birmingham, ca. 1925-35
Silver hoop with broad and long silver bezel which has applied gold foliage decoration and is set with three faceted citrines and four half pearls. The interior of the bezel is decorated with scrolling wires.
This ring was was made by the firm of Bernard Instone (1891-1987), one of the leading members of the second generation of of Arts and Crafts metalworkers. Born in Birmingham, Instone won a scholarship to the Central School of Art at the age of twelve and learned practical silversmithing and jewellery at the Vittoria Street School, Birmingham. He executed jewellery, metal and shagreen work for John Paul Cooper at Westerham during 1911-12. He was invited to work with Emil Lettré in Berlin, and returned in 1913 to Birmingham where he assisted in the teaching at the Vittoria Street School, before his career was interrupted by war service. He founded the Langstone silver works in 1920. He was a fertile designer and a vigorous champion of his own firm and the contemporary trade. He was President of the Birmingham Jewellers Association in 1937 and active in the preparation of the British Art in Industry Exhibition at Burlington House in 1935. He is said to have employed over forty people at the peak of his commercial success, and to have sold his work to Liberty's and Sybil Dunlop.
Bought by the donor from the London dealer John Jesse in about 1989. She had first seen it in about 1976 at another dealer.
Given by Gulderen Tekvar
Location: Jewellery, room 91, case 30, shelf A, box 8