Design for jewellery, by the firm of John Brogden, about 1860
Rectangular card with a pencil, ink and watercolour design for a jewellery set, comprised of a gold necklace, earring, and a ring. The necklace consists of a gold chain, with two further chains hanging down from it, giving it three tiers at the central point, and three pendants of the same design, with one larger than the other two. The pendants are comprised of four lozenge shaped rubies arranged to form one large lozenge shape, each ruby intersected by a saltire of small pearls. Each pendant has a further tear-drop-shaped ruby suspended from the bottom. The earring mirrors the design of these pendants. The ring is comprised of alternate rows of rubies and pearls.
This design for a jewellery set is from an album of designs produced for the firm of John Brogden (1864-1884). This album contains 1,593 designs for jewellery and goldsmith's work, mainly in colour and dating between 1848 and 1884. Designs like this one demonstrate the diversity of the jewellery produced by the Brogden firm. The firm was founded by John Brogden the elder in about 1796. From about 1824 to 1831 it was styled 'Brogden and Garland' and thereafter until 1841 'Garland and Watherston'. The younger Brogden, the son of Thomas Brogden and presumably a relative of the founder, served an apprenticeship to J.W. Garland as a goldsmith and jeweller from 1834 to 1841. Following Garland's departure, the remaining partner, J.H. Watherston, removed the firm to new premises at 16 Henrietta Street, Covent Garden and in 1848 joined forces with the younger Brogden.
Location: Prints & Drawings Study Room, level E, case MD, shelf 15