Printed notice

1846 (printed)

F Ward

Height: 33.1 cm, Width: 21.0 cm

S.5030-2009 T&P

Printed notice advertising the 22nd anniversary meeting of the Royal Shakspearean (sic) Club at Shakspeare's (sic) Hall, Stratford upon Avon, 23 April 1846, the concert of Sacred Music that followed in the Collegiate Church of Stratford upon Avon, and the evening dinner in Shakespeare's Hall. Naming Stewards of the Dinner including Edward Flower (1830-1892). Letterpress on paper. Printed by F. Ward, Bookseller and Stationer.

Printed notice headed STRATFORD-UPON-AVON COMMEMORATION OF THE BIRTHDAY OF SHAKSPEARE (sic) THE ROYAL SHAKSPEAREAN CLUB (sic) advertising the 22nd anniversary meeting of the Club at Shakspeare's (sic) Hall, Stratford upon Avon, 23 April 1846 with a selection of Sacred Music to be performed in the Collegiate Church of Stratford upon Avon, with proceeds for the funds of the Infirmary. The programme of the music is listed, with the times, prices, ticket purchasing arrangements and named of the Stewards of the Dinner. Letterpress on paper.

The earliest Shakespeare celebrations in Stratford upon Avon were held in September 1769 when the actor David Garrick organised a three-day Jubilee. This letterpress printed notice details the events that were held 75 years later in Stratford upon Avon on 23 April 1846, to commemorate Shakespeare's Birthday. It advertises the 22nd meeting of The Royal Shakespearean Club at 10am in Shakespeare's Hall, details the music and the performers in the concert that followed at 12 o'clock in the Collegiate Church of Stratford upon Avon, and the dinner for members and Friends of the Royal Shakespearean Club at 5pm in Shakespeare's Hall. It notes the ticket prices and arrangements for concert and the dinner tickets, giving the names of the Stewards of the Dinner including Edward Flower, the wealthy local brewer who was a driving force behind the Shakespeare celebrations in the town, and who went on to become mayor of Stratford in 1866 and 1867. It was through his son Charles Edward Fordham's efforts that the first Stratford Memorial Theatre was built in 1864 to celebrate the 300th anniversay of Shakespeare's birth. The Royal Shakespeare Club was formed as the Shakespeare Club in 1824 by about a dozen local townsmen. By 1830 the club had as many as 400 members, including the established actors William Macready and Charles Matthews. The club invited King George IV to attend their 1830 Gala Festival in Stratford, an invitation he initially accepted although later declined due to an 'indisposition'. Nevertheless the King became the patron of the organisation in 1830, after which the name of the club was elevated to The Royal Shakespearean Club.

The principal vocal performers named on the bill were Miss Duval, Mrs. Bull, Mr. Adams, and Mr. Bodda. The principal instrumentalists were Messrs. Allwood, Bull, Clayton, Elston, Elliston, Probin, Stanier, Start. Wells, Wheeler, and Wood. The musical director and conductor was Mr. C.J. Read, and the chorus master Mr. Adams. The bill notes that the members and friends of the Royal Shakespearean Club will dine at Shakespeare's Hall at 5pm with Chandos Wren Hoskins in the Chair. The Stewards of the Dinner were The Major of Stratford M. Philips Esq., W.J. Harding Esq., J.R. West Esq., B. Granville Esq., J.B. Freer Esq., D. Galton Esq., R.J. Atty Esq., T. Thomson, M.D. Esq., W.O. Hunt Esq., R. Greaves Esq., D. Rice Esq., W.C. Lucy Esq., W. Burman Esq., E.D. Ford Esq., and E.F. Flowers Esq.. The tickets to the dinner cost 12s 6d and included dinner, a bottle of wine, dessert and coffee.

Location: In Storage

View this object on the V&A website